Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Travel edition--Alaskan fishing towns

So...there hasn't been a lot of innovative cooking being done at home for the last few weeks. I traveled to Kodiak for work April 28th through May 1st. Then Krestia and I took a weekend trip to Cordova May 9th through May 11th, just because. In between all of that, there has been a lot of quick meals, leftovers, and eating out.

However. I always like to have culinary adventures when I travel. Sadly, I never remember to take food pictures when traveling. Sorry about that. In Kodiak, I had a great fish and chips lunch at The Channel Side Chowder House, a nice little restaurant on the edge of town by the water. While we ate, we watched fishing boats go in and out, followed by seagulls and bald eagles looking for scraps. The meal came in a basket--two large pieces of halibut with a wonderfully crispy coating on top of a pile of good fries. The accompanying tartar sauce wasn't the typical kind--there was some spices mixed in, maybe paprika and thyme. Usually I don't like tartar sauce much, but I liked this. I ate a whole basket by myself. The two ladies I was with split a basket, so I think they were a little shocked to see a small person devouring a large amount of food. Oh well, I was hungry. :)

In Cordova, our best meal was probably Sunday afternoon lunch at Baja Taco. This is a great little taco stand headquartered in an old red bus that has been converted into a kitchen. The bus is parked right next to a cozy little building. You order through one of the bus windows, then take your food next door, where there is free wireless. Krestia got fish tacos (made with salmon) with rice and beans and I had tortilla soup with a quesadilla on the side. It was a perfect meal for a rainy, cold afternoon.

Now that we're back in Anchorage, I'm looking forward to going to the Farmer's Market this weekend. It opened last weekend. I'm excited, but I have to keep telling myself there won't be much produce available. I'm longing for all kinds of spring produce, but here in Alaska, there really isn't anything until late June. Maybe a few greens and herbs that they started in a greenhouse, which sell out quickly because we all are desperate for something fresh. Mostly there will be flowers, and potatoes left from last winter. What are you all cooking with your spring produce?

1 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger John David said...

I've eaten at Baja Taco. Some of the best fish n' chips I've ever had.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home