Friday, February 29, 2008

Juneau trip

I went to Juneau February 25th through the 29th, also for my job. I spent two of those days at the state capitol, talking with legislators and lobbying for increased funding for services for people with disabilities. If you're interested in learning more, check out the website for the Key Campaign. I had the luxury of having a rental car for the week, so I was able to get out a little and enjoy the scenery Juneau has to offer--the Tongass National Forest, Mendenhall Glacier, and the Shrine of St. Therese (separate blog post coming on that last one--I took a lot of pictures!). Here's a brief sampling for you:


Mendenhall Glacier, about 12 miles outside of downtown Juneau.

Hills by the glacier. The Tongass is a rain forest, thus all the fog and gray skies. There was some form of precipitation every day I was there--rain, snow, a mix, some of each in the same day. Next time I go I'll need some knee-high rain boots.



Downtown Juneau, taken from the sidewalk by the harbor. The city is squeezed between the ocean and the mountains, and there is a real risk of avalanches (see here). It is a great little city with lots of fun shops and hilly, winding streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home