Thursday, March 27, 2008

MennoGourmet Weekly Review

I'd like to introduce what I hope will be a regular feature on my blog: "MennoGourmet Weekly Review." And yes, I stole the title partially from this newspaper. I also was thinking of an old Mennonite joke--thrifty Mennonites have "Mennonite Weekly Review" for dinner on Sundays, as a way to clean up all the leftovers from the previous week. All of that to say that I hope this idea will help me to be more consistent in blogging once a week. I will present to you what I (and usually my husband) ate for dinner for the past week. I love food and I love to cook, but it is a challenge to get a good meal on the table every night after work. I hope to share some of what works for us and to hear what works for you.

So we'll start with this week, even though it's only Thursday.

Monday night we ate at this restaurant. We usually go out to eat once a week, but didn't go out last week, so we splurged and went out on a Monday. The first time we ate at Thai Kitchen, we ordered things spicy and almost couldn't eat them. This time around we had milder dishes. So far everything we've had there has been delicious. Can you tell already that I'm not much of a thrifty Mennonite? We go out to eat too much. But heck, we both work full-time, so I say we should enjoy some of the perks. :)

Tuesday night I made Chicken with White Wine and Mushrooms. I made a few changes--I used boneless skinless chicken breast and I added some dried basil, oregano and a little crushed red pepper to the sauce. I used a semi-dry Reisling for the wine in the sauce and we drank the rest of the bottle with dinner. It was yummy. I cooked angel-hair pasta to go along with it.

Wednesday night I made a stew with Italian sausage, French green lentils, chopped onion, carrot and green pepper, and a can of diced tomatoes. It turned out well given that I mostly made up the recipe after reading a lot of similar ones online. I especially liked the finishing touch--a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar stirred into the stew just before eating.

Tonight I made one of our favorite "I want to eat soon but I don't feel like cooking much" meals, sweet potato quesadillas. The recipe is from Simply in Season, but basically it goes like this: saute onion, garlic, and grated sweet potatoes with a bunch of spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, oregano, basil) until soft. Make a quesadilla with some cheese (I use a mixture of Colby Jack and White Cheddar) on the bottom, a layer of the sweet potato mixture in the middle, and more cheese on top to hold it all together. Eat with salsa, sour cream and guacamole if you have it (we just had salsa tonight).

So far, a pretty typical week. I tend to cook one fancy meal at home per week that we have with wine. I usually do one quick and easy meal, and then something in between fancy and quick. That covers three nights, then we go out to eat once. The other night we might have leftovers, or another quick meal. I find that I really only have enough culinary energy to cook fancy one or maybe two nights a week.

I'll finish with a picture I took earlier this week. Daylight Savings and the lengthening daylight here have led to long, sunny evenings, with the sun setting around 8:30 pm, and glorious sunsets out our living room window. We saw this on Tuesday night:

5 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger John David said...

My Weekly Review:
Monday: can't remember
Tuesday: oatmeal maybe?
Wednesday: popcorn and tea
Thursday: ice cream

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hurray for weekly reviews. i'll have to try the quesdillas sometimes.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Martha said...

I should try those quesadillas too. My weekly dinner review is extremely embarrassing.

Monday night: flying back from San Francisco, bought starburst on the airplane
Tuesday: store bought tortellini and Prego pasta sauce
Wednesday: went to knitting, ate crackers and cheese, grapes, and a lemon poppyseed muffin
Thursday: melted cheddar cheese on tortilla chips, my lazy version of nachos
Friday: braised leeks and popcorn

My lunches are a lot better though because I ate eat out every day downtown--sushi, butter chicken, a burger and fries, a big salad from salad loop....I think I have switched lunch and dinner. I'm doing menu planning and shopping this weekend so next week should be better!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger karenlikescereal said...

Sweet potatoes take forever to cook in a pan, though- maybe not if they're grated.

Monday: leftover pasta with frozen homemade pesto from last summer.

Tuesday: peanut butter and jelly on toast, green pepper dipped in hummus.

Wednesday: free pizza at a GEO meeting.

Thursday: thai beef on salad with peanut-butter/soy sauce/lime juice/honey dressing. Mmm. Was tired of vegan/vegetarian food.

Friday: Thai restaurant for free with prospective student. Bangkok duck. Mmmmm.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger rlbuckwalter said...

The sweet potato quesadillas aren't amazing, but they are quick and taste good. And they have melted cheese, which Krestia loves. :) When I'm making the filling I usually have to add water a few times to make sure the grated potato doesn't stick to the pan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home