Thursday, June 26, 2008

Easy Apricot Almond Tart

I have been more and more into recipes that involve the word "easy." Recently my cooking has not been ambitious or creative. It has been fueled by convenience and speed. Like, how quickly can I get decent food into my mouth?
Two weeks ago I made a rhubarb tart with fresh rhubarb from my cousin's yard. I made a double batch of tart crust and saved the extra crust, figuring I would use it somehow. Two weeks went by, and I finally bought some fresh apricots at Fred Meyer, and decided to make them into a tart. I found this recipe on epicurious and went with it. (A note: part of what makes this recipe "easy" is a store-bought pie crust. My standards may be slipping, but I just can't go there yet.) I recommend making it, but with a few changes. You may have guessed this already, but a two-week old crust is very dry, and I ended up putting it into the tart pan in pieces and smushing them together. So probably use a fresh crust. Still, it tasted good. The first slice I had, while it was cooling, was way too sweet. I think the store bought apricot jam I used was really sweet. However, the next day the sweetness was reduced. Still, I would maybe reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup, or add some lemon juice to the jam to balance out the sugar. Also, I think the apricots I used weren't totally ripe, so it took longer in the oven to get them soft, thus the top is a bit browner than I'd like. I was pleased with how quickly this tart came together, since I had the crust made already. Easy gourmet, that's what it's about.

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Scraggle18 said...

Hey, cutie. Have you been grilling, at all? I've been OBSESSED with grilling things. Lucy - my neighbor - cooks gourmet stuff all the time, and is amazing. We grilled some tofu that she had marinated in exotic mushroom sauce for a week...and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD yummy.

My new boyfriend is a vegetarian, and I'm grilling him portabellas and tofu tomorrow night. Hurray!

(He doesn't know he's my boyfriend, yet. Actually, we haven't even kissed.)

hehehehe

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger rlbuckwalter said...

Sadly, we don't have a place to put a grill since our apartment is on the third floor. I miss grilling. I love doing that during the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home